We are bringing Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey home to Kerry. A uniquely Irish traditional method, using a mash of malted and unmalted barley, which are then triple-distilled through 3 copper pot stills which will sit proudly here at our distillery by the Atlantic.
This process is one that takes time, patience and maturity; but one that creates the best tasting whiskey in the world – authentic and timeless. This, along with terroir, our unique microclimate and the remote location of the distillery and planned maturation halls, will result in a totally unique Skellig Six18 flavour.
The detailed plans and design (with emphasis on sustainability throughout) of our state-of-the-art Whiskey Distillery Plant have been finalised, and the all-important 3 copper stills have been ordered and are being fabricated by Barison, Trento TN, Italy. We expect that our Whiskey Distillery Plant will be installed and commissioned here late 2022/early 2023. Then we will start laying down our first New Make Whiskey Distillate, to mature here on the Atlantic Coast.
What difference do a few years make to perfection? Our team are steadfast, creating a state-of-the-art distillery to be the home of our Skellig Six18 Whiskey. Our liquid will be matured, for as long as it takes, to create that sophisticated and complex whiskey flavour. By working the stills in our own individual way, we will produce a range of whiskies that challenge the conventional.
Using a time-honoured process, our ingredients will be simple – barley, malted grain, water, yeast and most importantly, time, in a wooden cask maturing alongside the Atlantic Ocean. The result will be an exquisitely intricate display of colour, flavour and smell, delighting the senses.
As we patiently wait for our own Skellig Six18 Whiskey, in 2022 we will be releasing some exciting special editions that will be uniquely matured and Atlantic Aged here at the distillery.
Certified member of Bord Bia’s Origin Green program, Ireland’s pioneering food and drink sustainability programme.
• George Boyle Architect & Mikey Hussey, Arch Technician. (2016) – Clients include: Teelings Whiskey Distillery, Dublin Zoo, ParkWest, OPW.
• Mary Doherty, Red Dog Design. (2016) – Clients include: Kerry Group plc, Kingspan Group, Lyric Theatre Belfast.
• Patricia McGrath, Business Consultant. (2016) – Extensive experience in technology, finance and business operations, former VP of UPC global corporate team in Amsterdam, and private consultant to banks, private equity, E.U. and Irish Governments.
• Leo Moore, Trademark Lawyer, William Fry. (2016) – Clients include The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU). Global and domestic enterprises on the management of global IP portfolios and global brands
• Jack O’Shea – Consultant Distiller. (2016) – General Manager Alltech and Distilling Consultant Pearse Lyons Distillery.
• Frank Wade, Lohan Donnelly Structural Engineers( 2017)- Clients include Kilbeggan Distillery, Cooley Distillery, Cadbury, Abbotts.
• Andy Crawford & Trinity Brand Group (2017) – Extensive experience in branding in the global spirits business, consumer and also labelling/branding. Clients include Virginia Distillery Company – Prelude Whisky, Constellation Brands – Alta Belleza, Casa Noble tequila, Corona Beer – Premier and Light.
• ProChem Mech & Elec (2017) – Clients include William Grants, Glanbia, C&C, Sullivan’s Brewery, Schering Plough.
• Des Fortune & Associates Ltd, Fire Safety Engineers.
• Aidan J O’Connell, Solicitor – Property.
• Mary Nyhan, Tax Adviser.
Reconnecting with our Home place is important, but we aren’t sentimental about business. This skilled team is putting in the hours and obair to help us create a global whiskey business. We’re confident we can deliver; for our families, our investors, our communities and for future vibrant generations on the Skellig Coast. We have the muinín.